Remediate Molds by Getting Rid of Moisture

Molds can be green, white, yellow, black, or pink. While all molds, regardless of color, are toxic, some say black is the most toxic of all. On the other hand, pink mold is one of the most common types. It’s also one of the most common and annoying problems many households face.


You’d usually find pink mold in damp areas, so you’ll see lots of it in the bathroom, particularly in bathroom grouts, the toilet, and the areas around the shower and bathtub. That’s because pink mold thrives in wet and moist places. This type of pink mold is called aureobasidium. There’s another type of pink mold known as fusarium, which thrives on houseplants, carpets, and wallpapers. Putting a carpet in your bathroom, which is prone to dampness, makes it a perfect breeding ground for fusarium.


Should you be worried about pink mold? Well, it’s not as dangerous as black mold. However, there are still some health risks associated with it. Research has shown that there is a correlation between pink mold and several human infections like gastrointestinal problems, urinary tract infection, and wound infection. Those exposed to this type of mold are prone to respiratory problems -infections and inflammation of the lungs, allergic reactions, hives, rashes, and bleeding in the lungs.


No person can totally get away of molds because they are a natural part of the environment. Molds, especially those that grow indoors, must be eliminated because not only do these fungi destroy home structures, they also endanger the health of the members of the family especially the children, elderly, or anyone with a very weak immune system. If your home is contaminated with molds, then you are in need of home mold remediation.


Home mold remediation starts with understanding the cause of the problem. Molds need five basic ingredients in order to grow and germinate – air, moisture, food, suitable temperature, and a surface to grow on. Nevertheless, among all these, special attention must be given to moisture because it is the main culprit for causing mold growth on bathroom walls, carpets, wood furniture, window sills, or any other home structure that you can think of. Ridding your home of moisture, in general, can actually take care of the mold problem.


How do you know, though, if there is too much moisture inside your home? While excess moisture can be difficult to detect, some signs can be readily apparent. Here are some of the most common symptoms of excess indoor moisture: musty smell, ice or frosts on windows or other cold surfaces, surface discoloration or staining, deformed wood surfaces, wood decay, water leaks, chipping or crumbling concrete and masonry, and high indoor humidity (a relative humidity of fifty-five percent or more).


It is very important to emphasize the value of fixing the moisture problem as part of home mold remediation. Sure there are lots of mold cleaning or removal products that you can use to eliminate molds. But if the moisture problem is not resolved, the molds will just grow back again. Here are some practical ways to remove excess indoor moisture: use an air conditioner, move indoor plants outdoors, take colder showers, install a fan in the kitchen and bathroom, and use a dehumidifier.


Home mold remediation can benefit your family in many ways. Eliminating moisture is easy if you understand what causes it and what can alleviate it.